Lead Dev 2016 London: Leading leads: lessons from growing a team
- Monika Piotrowicz @monsika
- slides: http://fr.slideshare.net/mpiotrowicz/leading-leads-lessons-from-a-growing-team
It is difficult to have feedback. The danger is to be too reactive over strategic.
- What is a tech lead ?
- tech skills, knowledge
- understand business
- understand the product
- trust from the team
- makes their team better
- Ask on 1 on 1: “have you considered leading a team some day ?”. Show that you care.
- Tell people about what you do (they have no idea what it’s like), what is your productivity. Leadership is another type of problem solving.
- Create opportunities, let them practice, delegate (stand ups, sprint planning).
- Take a step back, make space.
Your measure of success: is your team getting better ?
Expectations and performance
Between micro managing and directionless (laisser-faire)
- the most impactfull thing I can do today is…
- right now I’m not great at…
- in a few months, I want to try…
What changes for you ?
Your new role is becoming a multiplier of talents.
- trust people: give them authority, don’t be too prescriptive
- become a coach: asking insightful questions. Give tools and context needed to succeed.
- make space
- take new space
- own your growth